The ride is full!
We’ll have an email coming out soon with gathering & start info.
Sign up, get training, and come together for a good cause
The SJ Enduro is BACK, set for October
25th 18th this year.
(updated to show change of date from 25th to 18th)
The route will be very similar to that of the 2012 route… a 45 mile first loop with an optional 30-ish mile second loop. Big, horrific climbs, and a ride out into quiet reaches of Garner Valley. The route will include a climb up Thomas Mountain, and a descent of Ramona Trail.
There will be one self-supported aid station, location TBA, between the first and the second loop. The ride will otherwise follow self-supported rules.
We will organize a pre-ride of some parts of the route, date TBA.
The ride will support a local Idyllwild cause, TBA.
One week from now we’ll be kicking tires and lubing chains.
We’ve got the best Enduro route yet, with great weather in the forecast. (knock on wood). Idyllwild is the place to be right now.
Some reminders and things to think about as we get closer:
Bring 3-5 non expired, non opened food items to donate to the Idyllwild Help Center. This is one way we can collectively give back to the Idyllwild community, we can almost think of it as a partial, karmic “payment” for a free ride. 🙂
The Food Bank has a particular need for:
Bring it on down for collection at the start of the ride, or anytime at Hub Cyclery, Idyllwild.
Parking on site will be limited. Carpooling is a great idea. We’ll want to park in an orderly way, parallel to the road.
Good times will be had. Join us. The weather is looking favorable, but don’t forget to bring your warm sleeping bag.
Start List is Closed
We’re a week out now, in endurance riding terms that’s “last minute.” Let’s ride!
Click and ENJOY.
Thanks to Matt Palmer for doing the legwork on these. They look great.
We have loads of Enduro changes & updates.
1) The route has no second loop anymore, at least not in the format we’ve used before. The more remote, “western style” second loop in the Wagon Wheel/ Morris Creek area is gone. Instead, we will be riding more Singletrack at elevation, near Idyllwild and in May Valley.
Why? Because it is good. And because the non management is hopelessly swayed, influenced by the pressure of a couple Enduro cool kids who’d gone OCD with the whole thing while the non management was checked out on vacation. Hey, pimpin ain’t easy.
What’s this mean? The route(s) are more singletracky for sure. The new big route is shorter than 2011 in distance but probably comparable in riding time. The shorter route is just more fun than it used to be.
2) We will have GPS tracks & cues for both loops ready by next Wednesday at the latest. GPS use isn’t mandatory, of course, but darned close to it. Unless you really, really know these trails you will want to use the GPS track. Especially for the big loop.
3) We will let the start list shake out another week, then set it in stone next Friday. No wait list after that, just a start list.
4) The food drive is for real. Don’t bring last year’s pumpkin pie filling. Fess up the good stuff.
5) There’s an informal pre-ride of the route changes heading out from Hub Cyclery tomorrow, Saturday. Come ride if you can make it. Or come another time. Let’s ride, holler.
6) Here’s the rundown of the routes as they stand now:
Thomas/Rouse/Control rd… Tollgate (same so far)
Idyllwild.. through town, Tahquitz View/South Ridge/Ridgeline/Log Pile/Snakeskin/Spine/2nd Bro/road/Missing Link, etc, home.
Thomas/Rouse/Control rd… (Same so far)
Rattlesnake/Fuel Break/The Big O loop/Hub/Idyllwild…
Through town for restock…
Tahquitz View/South Ridge/Middle South Ridge/Snakeskin/Cahuilla/1st Bro/Lazy Bones/road/Bonita Vista/Meadow/road/Spine/2nd Bro/Grindstone/road/3rd Bro/Secret/Missing Link/etc/home.